[uunet!arisia.xerox.com!kahn: [PolleZ.pa@xxxxxxxxx: Talk by Rick Furuta: The Trellis Hypertext Project, Friday 25 Aug, 1:30pm, Room 1500 ]]

Wierd.

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 89 17:34:08 PDT
From: <uunet!arisia.xerox.com!kahn>
To: saraswat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dean@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: mark@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [PolleZ.pa@xxxxxxxxx: Talk by Rick Furuta: The Trellis Hypertext Project, Friday 25 Aug,
 1:30pm, Room 1500 ]

Here's the hypertext system based on petri nets that I mentioned.

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 89 16:13:04 PDT
From: PolleZ.pa@xxxxxxxxx
 1:30pm, Room 1500
To: ComputerResearch^.pa@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: PolleZ.pa@xxxxxxxxx, Demosee.pa@xxxxxxxxx

Date: Friday 25 Aug 1989
Time: 1:30pm
Place: Room 1500

		    The Trellis Hypertext Project

			    Richard Furuta

		    Department of Computer Science
			University of Maryland

Traditional hypertext representations specify content and structure.
Frequently based on a directed graph, the content is associated with the
nodes and the structure with the arcs that connect nodes to each other.  In
the Trellis Hypertext project, we have developed a new model of hypertext,
based on the Petri net, that adds specification of the hypertext's browsing
semantics.  The Trellis model provides additional abilities in the
specification of the hypertext:  for example, the ability to specify
synchronization between parts of the hypertext, to restrict access to parts
of the hypertext (security), and to permit tailoring of the hypertext.  The
model provides the hypertext author with the ability to specify not only
the content of the document, but also the ability to control some of the
way in which the document will be browsed.  This talk will first briefly
present the Trellis model.  The talk's main focus will be on the current
directions that we are taking in our research based on the model and
embodied in our prototype systems.  The issues include the definition and
application of variable browsing semantics; the use of the separation of
structure, content, and context; and timed extensions to the model.

Rick will be visiting all day Friday.  If you'd like to talk with him,
please message PolleZ.pa or Demoseee.pa to be added to his schedule.

Host: Polle Zellweger