possible garbage collector problem...

I really prefer a garbage collection model that allows threads to share
resources.  Then global optimizations can be made at runtime for
properties of the system, and economies of scale kick in for some of
the wierder optimization techniques.  This bias comes from imagining
an operating system built out of a language that assumed garbage
collection.  The system wouldn't load a different garbage collector
for each program (imagine grep and cat with their own gc).  It would
consider gc a system supplied function: runtime support.

Different threads should be able have different heaps and garbage
collectors, but it shouldn't be wired in.

On the other side, garbage collection without migration allows us to
have any number of heaps with negligible overhead.  I have a suspicion
that that freedom will buy us something.

dean