Re: for your amusement: Xanadu paper topics

> From tribble Tue Jan 23 03:49:19 1990
> [MANY titles]

EGAD!  No WONDER I've been feeling like I'm drowning in a stormy sea of
information.

> Words as Shelling Points for Meaning

Do you have a reference to Shelling's work?  Was it an outgrowth of
rigorous application of Catastrophie Theory to social science?  If
not, it looks like the niche where the mathematicians could start
chipping away.

And the insight above looks like a starting point for a mathematical
treatment of vocabulary change and the evolution of ideas.

(Just had an apocalyptic vision:  The New York Stock Exchange being
 operated by Penguins.)

	michael