Re: Smalltalk question

>>??? I thought ALL Smalltalk objects ...

  Not necessarily.  A class may have a nil superclass (as does Object) and
therefore would not share anything with the rest of smalltalk.  Unfortunately,
ALL of the smalltalk UI and system code assumes that everything IS a subclass
of Object (uses it's methods).  I'm sure it is possible to build a separate
class hierarchy, but you end up rewriting so much of Object to make the system
work that probably isn't much point.  It >would< be nice to make NullClass
and VoidClass be their own hierarchy, so that we wouldn't run into the recent
problem of having Object>>isEqual: work correctly with NullClass (or other
related problems).
--Hugh