Weekly Planning Meeting, 4/8

Highlights 5/08:

Well, folks, we have an event this week that is more important
than any event since we declared Alpha last year. This event
is so big that something more than a humongous congratulation
is in order.

Therefore, the standing ovation this week goes to ravi, and to
everyone who made his success this week possible: ravi got the
backend running in C++. This is the first C++ backend to have
Docs & Links; and it is the first C++ backend to use an ent.
For those of us who have watched the tasks crawl by at microscopic
distances, for those of us who have watched the pieces recede
across telescopic light years each time we reached out to touch,
this achievement has special meaning. It raises us to the top
of a mountain so high, yet so close to the destination, that
we can see, glimmering through the clouds, a Xanadu Hypermedia
Server, good enough to be wonderful.

We are not done yet: we still need recorders, and permissions,
and archiving, and snarfs (to hook the ent to urdi, so we can
save the ent to disk); but we are gloriously closer.

Congratulations go to hill, who completed a new debugging tool
that will help us with the rare--but painful--bugs that appear
only in executing C++ code.

Meetings: Ravi, rick, roland, hill, interface C++ to scheme.
Rick, ravi, backend interface. Paul, roger, crashing linker.
Roland, ravi, mangled name algorithm. Bill, roland, more disk
space. Michael, dean, ravi, disk transceiver. Dean, michael,
ent-snarf-urdi task breakout. Hugh, dean, fm on the mac. Roger,
hugh, reproducible Tapestry tests. Hugh, michael, finding changes
in smalltalk.

Anyway, this week's task list is as follows:

A.       dean

     5/15/90     make fm event based not polling
     5/15/90     make for-each compile
     5/15/90     get rid of test function special case
     5/15/90     compile fm with roger
     5/22/90     design archiving
     5/22/90     backend-disk interface (BeDi)
     5/23/90     inclusion list coord space
     5/23/90     allocation sequence numbers
     5/23/90     printing sequence numbers

B.       hill

x    5/07/90     printfs autotrace in C++ from smalltalk
     5/15/90     new stubble shell script
     5/30/89     write mail about X++ upgrades and garbage collection for bobp

C.       hugh

     5/15/90     hit the mac developer's conference
     5/15/90     stubble running on the mac
     5/15/90     put example code in files for roger
     5/15/90     compile febe on mac
     5/15/90     compile fm on mac
     5/15/90     X++ running on Mac
     5/14/90     finish attribute design
     5/14/90     get variants working in link pane

D.       markm

     5/15/90     fix fluids
     5/15/90     props, canopies
     5/07/90     initial doc of public club
     5/07/90     enforcement of clubs
     6/24/90     complete to do list from alpha 3
     6/27/90     respond to semantics email

E.       marcs

x    5/09/90     draft of "why true links are hard to do"
     5/16/90     new, super detailed PERT
     5/17/90     tapestry mockup in open look
     5/24/90     start second round of patenting work
     5/30/89     figure out whether links are standalone objects
     5/30/90     discuss stubble for ADI with autodesk

F.       michael

     5/15/90     studdy ent-snarf connection
     5/15/90     list of reserved message names in translator
     5/15/90     re-assess tasks
     5/15/90     Michael, wjr, pull file off exobyte.
     5/27/90     figure out ent

G.       ravi

x    5/09/90     Execute Backend Under C++!
     5/15/90     names on methods, and 1.2MB of space
     5/15/90     put revert into change manager

H.       bobp

     5/15/90     hit the mac developers conference
     5/15/90     more with marcs, joel on documentation staffing
     5/15/90     ship bound sys overview
     5/17/90     sensors in the overview

I.       roger

     5/15/90     get fm running under open look

J.       roland

x    5/08/90     new parser working
     5/15/90     stubble doing everything ravi needs for compile
     5/15/90     install better parser
     5/09/90     fix line numbering in crtuch
     5/17/90     run ceran over the whole world
     5/30/90     write grammar for formic
     5/30/90     parser with expression semantics
     5/30/90     xlint check for assign to a parameter variable and assignment to "this"
     5/28/90     automatic documenter

K.       Bill

     5/15/90     get exobyte repaired
     5/15/90     Michael, wjr, pull file off exobyte.
     5/17/90     work toward a yacc that parses C++
     5/17/90     figure out the backup setup

L.       Joel

     5/15/90     distribute info packet to world
     5/15/90     molecular negotiations

M.       Jacque

x    5/09/90     XOC for the IBM presentation
     5/15/90     update tapestry in superpaint
     5/15/90     outline of tapestry documentation

N.       Rick

     5/15/90     formic automated generator of interface
     5/15/90     round 2 with key logic

O.       Paul

x    5/08/90     new hire administrivia

L.       Small Tasks List
    Cleanup region code
    Sequence # in smalltalk, dean & michael versions
    Test files

L.       Deferred Meetings:

     Bobp, joel, marcs, discuss Apple and smalltalk.
     Marcs, dean, joel, parc place strategy.
     Dean, michael, structured debug on the ent.
     Michael, dean, break up the ent for the disk on Tuesday.
     Michael, dean, markm, ravi, efficiency of internsets.
     Roger,, hugh, dean, ravi discuss system independent attributes
             for the frontends  after fm does paragraphs.
     Roland, dean, discuss xlint commands in smalltalk.
     Markm, hill, discuss explicit deletion of orgls & refcount deletion.
     Markm, hill, discuss exception handling on sensors between comm handlers.
     Dean, roger, michael, markm, discuss sequence numbers of size 4 billion.
     Dean, markm, discuss intersecting backfollow ideas.
     joel, marcs, discuss terminology in X++ for developer release
           (particularly necromancers and related tools)
     Ravi, roger, discuss common view.

M.       Unassigned

     merge contact databases
     scenario documents (markm, dean
     Tumblers as subclass of partiallyOrdered
     tutorial for users on the frontend
     reference manual for users on the frontend
     test scaffolding, code exercisers
     rollin, rollout a la Univac
     subaccounts, permissions on FE
     sys admin, i.e., archiving and partitioning disks

--marcs