Date: Thu, 17 May 90 09:53:30 PDT
From: uunet!parcplace!deutsch (Peter Deutsch)
To: tribble@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Cost of polymorphism

Measured on the SPARCstation, the cost of a polymorphic send is about 7-8
times the cost of a non-polymorphic send.  With the translator modification
I mentioned at lunch, the cost ratio drops to about 4-5.  I expect a
slightly greater savings on the 386.  Things are not currently arranged so
as to make this possible on the 68020.

I don't think I can improve these numbers significantly beyond where they
are now.