[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Date Index][Thread Index]
Var is dead! Long Live CheckedPtrVar and IntegerVar!
- To: <roger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Var is dead! Long Live CheckedPtrVar and IntegerVar!
- From: Mark S. Miller <vlad!mark>
- Date: Wed, 15 Aug 90 15:47:36 PDT
- Cc: <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xtech@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- In-reply-to: <Roger>,39 PDT <9008152040.AA26779@xanadu>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 90 13:40:39 PDT
From: xanadu!roger (Roger Gregory)
I thought the version that wjr had done held onto a pointer ot something,
not necessarily a heaper. Heapers have a lot of baggage the bignum parts
on IntegerVars don't have to have all that stuff. I don't see how any
of the changes to Var have any effect on the bignum stuff at all. markm?
My point is that all the legal values we want can be encoded in the bignum
stuff, even NaN behavior if we have any reason to want that. We could
even put Infinitys there (all of them).
While we could do that kind of thing, I'm inclined to keep them
strictly among the integers.
You can't put all the infinities in an representation which is
restricted to only a countable infinity of bits ;->