Re: Definition of Xanadu per Ted and Kathy

> From: jbc@xxxxxxxxxx (Jim Bryce Clark)
> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 08:34:29 GMT
> Sender: avatar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

...>
> In my field (law), twenty or thirty successive versions of a document are
> not uncommon.  The idea of a "final" document, the finality of which
> justifies throwing out all the historical drafts and previous work, is fast
> becoming obsolete.  IMHO, the most important contribution of Xanadu to
> information management may not be hypertext, but rather an improved
> understanding of the identity of information -- what, taken together,
> constitutes "one" document for conceptual purposes?
>
> I'd be delighted if someone could direct me to any serious discussions of
> the foregoing problem -- *other than yours*.  I haven't seen any.

See here, but I don't think you *know* my definition
 of a document.  Am I to take it that it is of no
 interest regardless, because of its source?

However that may be, my definition is currently as follows:

"The owned name and boundary for an arbitrary collection of versions
 containing original and/or transcluded materials,
moving and changing through time."

The operative unit is therefore the version.

Best, Ted

Theodor Holm Nelson
 Founder of Interactive Media | Founder of Network Publishing
Project Xanadu(R)
3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, Fax 415/ 332-0136
Permanent e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx

In Japan, UNTIL April 1:
 Research Fellow, Sapporo HyperLab
  and Faculty of Engineering, Hokkaido University
 FAX at HyperLab (from the States) 011 81 11  807-6062
 Phone of HyperLab (from the States) 011 81 11  807-6061
 Phone at Ted's Desk, HyperLab
  Tel. (from the States) 011 81 11  898-5428
 Home in Sapporo: 011 81 11 611-9678

In Japan, AFTER April 1: --------------
 Professor Ted Nelson
  KAPPA Bldg, Room #506
  Keio University - Shonan Fujisawa Campus
  5322 Endo
  Fujisawa-shi 252 Japan
 Phone: 0466-47-5111  ext. 3056
       or : 0466-47-5000 -> beep -> 3056 (dial-in: OK for 24 hrs)
 Phone in Research Room:	 0466-47-5083
 Fax in  Research Room:	 0466-47-5084