Another reply Re: oooo...kay: commands to try

>I can't see bloody much in the demo so far. Do any
>of the commands work? Is there a version that's loaded with anything
>familiar?

All the commands currently work except
 CHUG, SHEAR and MARK.

In the listing there are lots more.

Good commands to start playing with are
 #L-ins, R-ins, #L-Hop, #L-Break.
Put the left cursor on one of those and
 hit Enter, see what happens.

ChrzT

At 04:13 AM 6/20/98 -0400, you wrote:

> [...]
>fork
> |      |       |                 really cool front fork
> |      |       |
> |      |   (Handlebars Database)
> |      |          |
> |      |          fancy handlebar
> |      |
> |      fancy frame
> |          |
> |       (Labor Database)
> |          |
> |          assemble frame
> |
> Mediocre Bicycle
> |       |    |
> |       |  (Wheels Database)
> |       |        |
> |       |        cheap wheels
> |       |
> |      (Brakes Database)
> |           |
> |           cheap brakes
> |
> Etc.
>
>This kind of thing is probably old hat. I built this because I desperately
>needed one, and couldn't get one. Otherwise I'd still be a craftsman,
>whittling things. You can't whittle in an information age, without a CAD
>system. My first attempts used spreadsheets, but they were limited, maybe
>just by the programming interface. This one manages many-to-one-to-many
>relationships using a minimum of three files, one of which just maintains
>all the links. I could not sell an abstraction, but this prices things that
>couldn't be priced before, and damn quick, which makes it a golden egg.
>
>Maybe: Zigzag is sort of like a database file, in having fields, and a
>spreadsheet, having cells, but instead of having records or pages of cells,
>it's more like the loose fields are linked in amost any way one could
>possibly (logically) link them. So if that's the case, a "record" could be
>a set of fields with something in common; but those fields might also be
>part of a "record" from a whole different angle. Sort of like, if I build a
>matrix based on a cube, and sink it about halfway into a pool of water,
>then the surface of the water defines the current view of the contents.
>Roll the thing over, or sink it deeper, or just tilt it, and you get a
>whole different set of fields. Don't start with me, now, I don't wanna hear
>about making waves in the water, or doing it in zero gravity. I'm just a
>whitebelt at this stuff.
>
>Is anything in this at all related to zigzag (if so, what?) I'm just going
>on what I've downloaded. I can't see bloody much in the demo so far. Do any
>of the commands work? Is there a version that's loaded with anything
>familiar?
>
>What does zigzag need?
>
>If you want to make a computer do some job, you're pretty much stuck with
>an "application", aren't you?
>
>Are you interested in the problem of the triumph of mediocrity, and how
>this affects the birthing of zigzag? (I know: not if I have to use
>words...<g>)
>
>I still haven't heard from you, whether you ever ran across this

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Quotation of the day:
"Education is the process of ruining different subjects for you.  The last
subject to be ruined determines your profession."  Ted Nelson, ca. 1970.