Re: ply#1 :zz,skx,virt: "Re: oooo...kay [IS THIS APPROPRIATE?]

This is a partial reply to ZigZag-relevant elements
 in one of Peter Barus's brilliant rambling letters.

Please let me know if such things are considered
 relevant to this mailing list.

Ted

===================================

>>> But the principal issue of creative work is version management <<
>
>Well, some of us are Swoopers, and some the other thing, uh, you know, some
>just spew out finished gems, others refine and rewrite until nothing is
>left but what looks like an elephant... For writing, these days, WP's have
>become so unmanageable, I just use Notepad. For code, I have a nice thing
>that does a lot of what you are on about, and I'm working on moving to that
>for writing. All I need to do is start putting SUB at the beginning of the
>paragraphs <g>...
>
>>> the geek merely PUSHES THE PROBLEM OUT INTO
> THE USER'S LAP, a bagful of fighting cats. <<
>
>HOOF! HAWF! ROWRBAZZLE!! Hoo boy. heehoo.

>>> So my first article, 1965, was about how a proper text system
> would keep the parts linked between versions (among other
> properties), and nobody understood it. <<
>
>I DID!!! I thought. I think.

>[how Peter's program builds up from a parts database]
...>That's why my database stuff builds hierarchies the way it
>does. In fact, I'd say an application is determined by the way a user
>stacks up hierarchies.

Okay, I grant it in **some cases**.

>Your system, to me, just makes it infinitely more
>granular (and elegant, potentially).

Plus things can be inside things and shared by things
 nonhierarchically.

>Not to get all organic on you.

Are you then a Man of Mettle? <g>

>>> The alternative to hierarchy: FINE-GRAIN TRANSCLUSION,
> meaning that small things can be in many collections and contexts,
> and you can see sideways among the small things to all the
> contexts they're in.  I write about this everywhere (but it's
> taking me a long time to make the stuff available, unforch). <<
>
>Yeb, fine-grain, uhuh. Heehee! You sly old dog. The H and I thing, right.
>Sort of like crosstabs but looser. Or tighter. Or something.

Well, I guess that summarizes it as generally as one might.

>>> WHERE ALL THIS LEADS:  For the OPERATING SYSTEM
> ITSELF, we need a CLEAN, CONSISTENT, PRINCIPLED
> ENVIRONMENT with FINE-GRAIN STABLE CONNECTIONS
> AMONG SMALL OBJECTS, with transclusion. <<
>
>Good luck.

>>> The term "application" as presently used really means an
> ACTIVITY TRAP, <<
>
>For some time I've noticed that people do this with computers: Og the
>caveman is given a bow and arrow, and told this can get more deer. He goes
>out and runs down a deer as usual, and hacks it to death with the arrow.

<LOL>

>>> Example: you buy a Photoshop-like application cluster,
> you get a Canvas Cell, a Brush Cell, Color Selector
> Cell, and use them together or in other contexts. <<
>
>A "cell" contains that much processing stuff?

A cell can be the smallest component, or it can contain
 thousands of other cells, or all your work, which is
 cells in cells transcluded to other cells...

>Isn't this thing subject to the same kind of forces? You know, tendencies
>toward complexity, followed by cataclysms that impose simplicity, followed
>by increasing complexity, etc.? To over simplify.

Of course.  But starting over, you get to have it
 neat and clean for at least a while.

>It is certainly true that marketing has driven the whole Microsoft
>enterprise. Backward compatibility is just for keeping users when you patch
>on something incompatible that should have been in the foundation
>somewhere. Given a clean, consistent, principled etc., there should never
>again be any need for b.c. However, having tried programming with this in
>mind, there is this strange lumpy growth pattern. The code collapses at
>certain points, into much smaller forms that do twice as much, twice as
>well; eventually large chunks of it atrophy and fall off.

Software evolution is indeed strange.

>Your system will not be marketable in a market that is thoroughly addicted
>to Gates' pearls-to-swine "vision" of things.

LOL

>It renders this obsolete
>(about time), but this is a serious problem, it's like getting rid of the
>need for the automobile (which it could be argued, the computer has done
>already. I hardly ever go anywhere anymore.) But I'm trying to say, "This
>forces the user to be disciplined." I don't mean it the same way; I mean,
>where are the disciplined users, the ones who will dive into this new world
>and explore it?

Hey, I can't use a billion users right now.
 Half a dozen are keeping my hands full.

My grand marketing strategy is to build a new world
 which sits **on top** of Windows etc., and
 makes the complications go away.

And find a niche market-- brilliant generalists, perhaps--
 to get it started.

>So a strategy may be needed to force the world to accept this thing. It
>runs counter to a lot of big business. A lot. So much as to render the
>effort extremely dangerous. Many great inventions have never arrived for
>the same reasons. This has to do with the intransigence of the disease of
>Feudalism.
>
>I think this will divide the computer world into twain, and on one side we
>will have the sweatshop activity trap stuff, and on the other, the
>fulfillment of the paperless, workless, mastery-oriented,
>creativity-rewarding society of abundance, etc.

Hey, it's just another new computer paradigm,
 there are a hundred on the street at any one time,
 and if it succeeds I'm sure the bad guys will
 have a use for it ...

>Or else They will have you quietly murdered...

Naah.  That's why I make myself conspicuous.
 I don't disappear easy.

> [...]
>caveman is given a bow and arrow, and told this can get more deer. He goes
>out and runs down a deer as usual, and hacks it to death with the arrow.
>When somebody wants a computer to do accounting, they duplicate the actions
>of an accountant. Not being an accountant, I built something that did the
>accounting first, and none of the accountants understand it, so I built
>something that sends them out the conclusions, and that keeps them happy,
>because now they can call my thing an "inventory module". Using a computer
>changes the whole problem, as the observer changes what is observed.
>
>>> Example: you buy a Photoshop-like application cluster,
> you get a Canvas Cell, a Brush Cell, Color Selector
> Cell, and use them together or in other contexts. <<
>
>A "cell" contains that much processing stuff?
>
>Isn't this thing subject to the same kind of forces? You know, tendencies
>toward complexity, followed by cataclysms that impose simplicity, followed
>by increasing complexity, etc.? To over simplify.
>
>It is certainly true that marketing has driven the whole Microsoft
>enterprise. Backward compatibility is just for keeping users when you patch
>on something incompatible that should have been in the foundation
>somewhere. Given a clean, consistent, principled etc., there should never
>again be any need for b.c. However, having tried programming with this in
>mind, there is this strange lumpy growth pattern. The code collapses at
>certain points, into much smaller forms that do twice as much, twice as
>well; eventually large chunks of it atrophy and fall off.
>
>Your system will not be marketable in a market that is thoroughly addicted
>to Gates' pearls-to-swine "vision" of things. It renders this obsolete
>(about time), but this is a serious problem, it's like getting rid of the
>need for the automobile (which it could be argued, the computer has done
>already. I hardly ever go anywhere anymore.) But I'm trying to say, "This
>forces the user to be disciplined." I don't mean it the same way; I mean,
>where are the disciplined users, the ones who will dive into this new world
>and explore it? A great many applecarts are precareously balanced on the
>status quo (if there is such a thing as a status quo, a notion I find
>questionable).
>
>So a strategy may be needed to force the world to accept this thing. It
>runs counter to a lot of big business. A lot. So much as to render the
>effort extremely dangerous. Many great inventions have never arrived for
>the same reasons. This has to do with the intransigence of the disease of
>Feudalism.
>
>I think this will divide the computer world into twain, and on one side we
>will have the sweatshop activity trap stuff, and on the other, the
>fulfillment of the paperless, workless, mastery-oriented,
>creativity-rewarding society of abundance, etc.
>
>Or else They will have you quietly murdered...

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Quotation of the day:
"No man can sit on more than three cats at one time."  Ted Nelson, 98.06.19.