:zz,dictron: ZZ server versus clickable file

>The ZZ program never opens a push connection from a server - it IS the
server,
>and it expects the client to open a connection to it.
>
>> But they both open the same way, with a click on a URL.
>
>Yes.  But quite different URLs!

I don't get it.  Why can't  the URLs be similar?

ChrzT

At 04:16 AM 6/19/98 +1000, you wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 19, 1998 at 02:31:47AM +0900, Ted Nelson wrote:
>> Just one little question-- could we do things this way... ?
>>
>> User clicks on a desktop URL, with a pretty ZZ.
>>
>> Case 1:  It's actually one of these ZZ mime types (top level),
>>  and ZZ goes and gets the helper functions and on we go.
>> Case 2:  It's actually the PUSH script, which sends the
>>  Frames and whatnot, and now we have the ZZ world.
>>
>> What I'm asking (it seems obvious but I'm just checking):
>>  our ZZ program checks whether it's opened an actual
>>  mime file (a noun) or a Push connection from a server (a verb).
>
>The ZZ program never opens a push connection from a server - it IS the
server,
>and it expects the client to open a connection to it.
>
>> But they both open the same way, with a click on a URL.
>
>Yes.  But quite different URLs!
>
>> Seems to me our program could deal with either eventuality, right?
>
>I don't see why not.  The first case starts zigzag with a command line
>parameter indicating a disk file written by the client, the second case
>attempts to contact an already running zigzag server via a socket.
>
>Cheers,
>	*** Xanni ***
>--
>mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam
>http://www.xanadu.net/xanadu/                   Technical VP, Xanadu
>http://www.glasswings.com.au/                   Technical Editor, Glass Wings
>http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/                   Manager, Serious Cybernetics
>P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia  Phone +61 3 96511511

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Quotation of the day:
"I have recently decided, to my dismay, that perhaps this IS the best of
all possible worlds-- after an agonizing reconsideration of the meanings
and scopes of 'possibility'."  Ted Nelson, 17 June 1998.