Re: :zz,dictron: ZZ server versus clickable file

Hi Andrew--

An embarrassment of riches.  I scarcely understand
 all the ramifications of these possibilities.

But this one sounds pretty straightforward--

>Or the zigzag server could start a copy of your preferred
>web browser and point it at the correct address.  This approach has the
>additional benefit that it allows us to pick a port number at runtime.

Great, let's do that.

(I presume that if the browser is already running,
 it just does this anyway, as when you click a URL
 from somewhere else that opens another browser window.)

ChrzT

At 03:20 PM 6/22/98 +1000, you wrote:
>On Sat, Jun 20, 1998 at 12:27:04AM +0900, Ted Nelson wrote:
>> You saith (with regards to opening a ZZ file
>>  versus starting a client session, I think)--
>>
>> >Here are examples of the two kinds of URL:
>> >
>> >http://www.xanadu.net/zigzag/example
>> >http://localhost:5678/
>>
>> In other words, one URL is a file and the other is
>>  a directory?  Except I've never seen that colon before ...
>
>There's no real distinction in HTTP; either way you're expecting to
>receive a resource (for example, a web page).  The colon is used to
>specify the port to connect to, and defaults to ":80" (the reserved HTTP
>port) if ommitted, which it usually is.  We could set the zigzag server
>up to use port 80 but would want to check if it was already in use by
>another web server first!  This would also prevent users from starting
>another web server on the normal port.
>
>> My question is, couldn't it open for any purpose by
>>  clicking on a desktop filey-looking thing, which starts
>>  the server-push connection?  (I've had server-push connections
>>  started by filey-looking things)
>
>If the "desktop filey-looking thing" represents a URL, as with "Internet
>Shortcuts" in Windows 95+, yes.  Alternatively you could have an HTML
>document which contains a META tag redirecting the user to the URL for the
>zigzag server.  Or the zigzag server could start a copy of your preferred
>web browser and point it at the correct address.  This approach has the
>additional benefit that it allows us to pick a port number at runtime.
>
>Cheers,
>	*** Xanni ***
>--
>mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam
>http://www.xanadu.net/xanadu/                   Technical VP, Xanadu
>http://www.glasswings.com.au/                   Technical Editor, Glass Wings
>http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/                   Manager, Serious Cybernetics
>P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia  Phone +61 3 96511511

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Quotation of the day:
"No man can sit on more than three cats at one time."  Ted Nelson, 98.06.19.