Re: :zz: The Plan for ZigZag (4) FORMIDABLE LIST OF SMALL CHANGES

Bek,

>The OOP/modular style also means it's MUCH easier to (eventually) make
>seperate modules so we can just "slot in" a different display module
>if we want the output to go to a web browser, or whatever.  Also that
>we can just "slot in" a different data access module if we want it to
>use an OSMIC server, or anything else.
>
>And besides, I keep getting lost in the sourcecode the way it is -
>it's too monolithic!!
>
>Best estimate, give me a solid week - at my  working speed - and I'll
>have it going.  It's more of a "rearrangement" than a rewrite :)
>
>Pleeeeeeeeeease??

Your wish is granted!  I didn't know that we'd
 want to make this transition so soon.  But that's
 just fine.

I presume you and Andrew are in agreement on this.
 I want to stay closely attuned with both of you
 as development continues.  Wrong alleyways are
 very expensive.

All the best, Ted

At 10:30 AM 7/14/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Ted Nelson wrote:
>> Well, here they are.  And this may not be all.
>> Please respond soon, even if you've only had time
>>  to skim this.
>
>Just read it quickly, and the other one not at all.
>
>My main response is that I -NEED- to be allowed to "port" (transfer,
>actually) ZigZag to Object-Oriented Perl.  It's getting too big and
>too messy to be written in the flat way it is.
>
>The OOP/modular style also means it's MUCH easier to (eventually) make
>seperate modules so we can just "slot in" a different display module
>if we want the output to go to a web browser, or whatever.  Also that
>we can just "slot in" a different data access module if we want it to
>use an OSMIC server, or anything else.
>
>And besides, I keep getting lost in the sourcecode the way it is -
>it's too monolithic!!
>
>Best estimate, give me a solid week - at my  working speed - and I'll
>have it going.  It's more of a "rearrangement" than a rewrite :)
>
>Pleeeeeeeeeease??
>
>Gossamer
>
>--
>: Gossamer     gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  | Xanadoodler
>: http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/  | And proud of it :)
>: Nothing determines who we will become, so much as those things we
>: chose to ignore.  -- Isaac Asimov

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Quotation of the day, 98.07.13:
"Obsolete power corrupts obsoletely."  TN86