:skx: (was Re: Deprecation (wuz Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] ZZ-space and using its dimensions

No confusion.  The trail of semantic shift is clear.

But I disagree when you say:

>And the computer term is basically just a usage of the ordinary
>definition, to express disapproval of.  Something that is deprecated in
>the standards document sense is disapproved of, and is still supported
>but should be avoided if possible.

You pull here the wonderful semantic move of trying to force two
 meanings to be the same, when they have clearly diverged (like my
 girlfriend of some time ago who argued that "education" still meant
 "draw forth", as it originally did in Latin).

The definition AJ supplied,

>  deprecated adj.  Said of a program or feature that is
>  considered obsolescent and in the process of being phased out,
>  usually in favor of a specified replacement.  ...

is derivative from, but hardly the same as, the old.  Or so I think :)

ChrzT

At 05:43 AM 7/16/00 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 03:27:08PM +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 08:46:33PM +0900, Ted Nelson wrote:
>> > Excuse me.  MY dictionary says "deprecated" means
>> >  1.  Supplicate, beseech.
>> >  2.  Pray against.
>> >  3.  Express disapproval of.
>> >  4.  Invoke.
>>
>> So does my ordinary dictionary.  The meaning that was used for
>> "deprecation" is computer slang.
>
>And the computer term is basically just a usage of the ordinary
>definition, to express disapproval of.  Something that is deprecated in
>the standards document sense is disapproved of, and is still supported
>but should be avoided if possible.
>
>So you see there is no confusion about the term after all.  :)
>
>Cheers,
>	Andrew
>--
>mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam
>http://www.xanadu.com.au/                       Chief Scientist, Xanadu
>http://www.glasswings.com.au/                   Technology Manager, Glass
Wings
>http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/                   Manager, Serious Cybernetics
>P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia  Phone +61 0401 258 915

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England
 ?  e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx   ?  world-wide fax 1/415/332-0136
 ?  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    ?  http://www.xanadu.net
 ? Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965