Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Fully general cell references

On 20000819T132933+0300, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > This makes things a bit less general than A-J intended: not every cell
> > can be a reference start cell. Obviously, a headcell on reference start
> > (that is, d.cursor-cargo) cannot reference another cell, i.e. be a
> > reference start cell.
> >
> > On the other hand, there isn't much reason for that.
>
> Exactly. I think that's a fair tradeoff. AJ?

I believe so too.  For my purposes it's sufficient that I can refer from
any cell in Clang runtime (especially the activation stack) and from any
cell in a Clang program.  So restricting start cells like this shouldn't
be a problem.  The important thing is that any cell can be referred to
as many times as necessary, transparently.

> Totally agreed. Except that we may have both; we'll probably end up doing
> runtime profiling of operations and choosing data structures eventually.
>
> After we bootstrap.
>
> I'm becoming more and more anxious about that: AJ, do you think we could
> make bootstrap in December?

It depends.  After I get Thales Clang going we'll know better.  It's not
impossible, though.

I believe I could design the next Clang (Heraclitus Clang, after
"the obscure" Heraclitus from Ephesus, ~500 BC) as a systems language
aiming for efficient compilation.

Are we targeting the Java machine or some real machine?

--
%%% Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho % gaia@xxxxxx % http://www.iki.fi/gaia/ %%%