Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] versioning & cell copying

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> Very good cases - I'll have to talk about these with Ted. Having solid
> examples makes things so much easier to talk about. Yes, now I see why
> sending a cluster of cells makes a lot of sense..

Recent realization: We can and should have both in one. If we want to
send a bunch of cells, first we pull them out into a slice (i.e.
transcopy them), then we send the slice. When we get a slice back with
modified versions of these cells, we can integrate it into our normal
space by transcopying them instead of just attaching the slice. And then
we can use our usual versioning tools.

Why we should generally transcopy cells into slices? Because when we
*can* store identity, why the hell shouldn't we? I mean, the reasons
really are the same as the ones because of which we want transcopying
for fluid media (i.e., the xu system). We do already have the primitive
SlicedSame stuff; why shouldn't we extend this so that we can really
maintain identity?

-b.