Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Errors and exceptions

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 08:44:33PM +0200, B. Fallenstein wrote:

> Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > > I agree with the classes you mention, but we also need a SyntaxError or
> > > similar kind of thing for malformed structures: the program expects some
> > > ZZ structure, but gets something else. This should probably be an error,
> > > because it usually needs to be handled by the user somehow, not the
> > > calling function.
> >
> > Or alternatively
>
> -- ? --

Whoops, forgot to write out my thought again.

Alternatively, a class ClangException, from which e.g. SyntaxError is
derived. Then, all methods which execute language have 'throws ClangException'
as a throws clause.

> > By the way: what does Renderable.translate do? Is it necessary in Core
> > or can we handle it through FlobSets somehow? I really don't like having
> > it at that level, especially with the "returns false if .. not supported".
>
> I don't think renderables should be there at all. The current interface
> for decorations is holding us back. I'm not sure yet how we can improve
> on it, but fixing it at this point seems to be totally unreasonable.
>
> The problem is that connections need to be shown between two windows,
> and in two halves, and directly behind the corresponding vobs (i.e. "0.5
> depth levels behind"), or even between the vob's background and the
> vob's contents/frame.

Hmm... Renderable is not meant to solve this: Renderable is something
that is simply painted at some depth.

> I'm getting the feeling that there should be a Decoration (or something
> like that) class which saves the parameters in arrays, much like current
> decorations do, but ranging over different depths, having depth-sorting
> done on the arrays, and having its arrays staggered together with those
> in the VobSet itself. However, that doesn't automatically help with
> multiple windows. Well, probably the Decoration.render()s should always
> be called with the top-level Graphics object, thus having to do
> conversion. But we still need one Decoration object per
> SceneFlob/FlobSet combination: not nice, as it makes the code placing
> the decorations/connections more complex.

Probably something like "Connection" or "VisualConnection".

Yes, maybe connections really do need to be completely outside the
current flat-2 1/2 D vob system. That would make sense.

Hmm, we probably should support this in the core APIs - suggestions?

> But to answer your question, translate() is outdated now that we have
> SceneFlobs (which need to be improved, but still).

Great.

	Tuomas