Re: Clientspace, userspace

Hi Tuukka,

Tuukka Hastrup wrote:
> > If we fork a generic windowspace, of course the cursors cannot
> > point anywhere yet.
>
> Except somewhere in the windowspace...

Right. (Though that's not an interesting position for users, of course...)

> > And there's a nice solution: When a window's cursor is found to point
> > nowhere on view generation, we simply make it point to the homecell of
> > the userspace. This is nice because it's a behaviour we want anyway-- if
> > a cursor is set to nowhere because of a bug in the program, we do *not*
> > want to get a "RASTER ERROR"!
>
> ...and the rootcell of windowspace will be the rootcell of the compound
> space. On the other hand, in my opinion the rootcell has very little to do
> with users and cursors,

Yes.

> but here we need some default search paths
> available. Starting from the rootcell (in the windowspace), there must
> exist a predefined path to the homecell (in clientspace).

(You mean userspace.) Yes, and that should not be a problem-- after all,
we can directly connect the windowspace's rootcell to the userspace's
homecell. No problem there. We can even think about having the
windowspace's rootcell be the cell that includes the userspace, then the
path would already be defined... not completely sure about that, though.

> Ok, and if the path doesn't exist, we point to the rootcell instead. No
> problem then.

Okay.

- Benja