:zz: EDIT FIX FOR CNS EXPECTED SHORTLY

Hi Jun--

Apparently the cell-edit problem is this:

When somebody opens Mule to edit a file, it creates
/tmp/zigzag
 but unfortunately this file is persistent, and it now belongs
 to whoever created it.  This means that only the same
 person can edit a cell on that same machine, at least
 until the CNS garbage collector program comes and
 kills the /tmp/ files every 24 hours or so.

Our developers, Andrew Pam and Bek Oberin in Australia,
 are fixing this as quickly as possible, and hope to have a fix
 which I can take to CNS today.

Meanwhile, if students approach you about the problem,
 a temporary solution is to try logging into another Unix
 machine until they find one where the editing works.

I am very sorry about this.  However, we could not
 discover it until a number of people were using the program.

Best, Ted

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
Professorial home page http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the day, 98.10.08:
"The technical difference between a language and a dialect: a language is a
dialect with an army."  --Author unknown
"The technical difference between a religion and a cult: a religion is a
cult with downtown lawyers."  TN89