:zz: Re: Ranks & Phyla

Woof.

(Actually, I think it's more like a collection of fields,
 and therefore a *record*.  Sorry if that's staking it
 too literally.)

(See my paper, "The Tyranny of the File," Datamation,
 late eighties ...)

ChrzT

At 01:26 PM 10/29/98 -0500, you wrote:

>> > "Rank" is the generalized term for "row" and "column",
>
>Now, suppose the rank has an extra cell on the end that contains a name for
>the data in the rank, like this:
>
>  MALE SIMPSONS -- Homer -- Bart -- Abe -- Flanders -- Skinner -- Nelson
>  CHARACTERS
>
>Now it's a collection of data that has a label.  This is precisely
>what a conventional computer file is, so let's call it a file.
>
>Now we have ranks and files.   Ha ha ha!

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
Professorial home page http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the day, 98.10.29:
Last words of Oscar Wilde: "Either that wallpaper goes, or I do."