Re: :zz: The !@#$% General solution impossible?

You said:
>I don't presently see any simple solution for the general case, except
>to note that these are traditional problems of parallelism and there's
>no reason we can't implement traditional solutions such as semaphores,
>locks, queues, mailboxes and other kinds of inter-process messages as
>Zigzag cells.

The reason is that if we aren't seriously simplifying
 in some original way, maybe we shouldn't be doing it.

>If anything it might make them more visual and hence
>perhaps easier to understand.

There is that.  ChrzT

At 11:10 AM 4/3/99 +1000, you wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 02, 1999 at 11:10:20PM +0900, Ted Nelson wrote:
>> The other alternative I could see would be to isolate
>>  what was needed: specifying some subset of data
>>  that the forked processs would be working from,
>>  and zip its results back in later.
>
>Ah, yes.  Good point; that would work too.
>
>> This is, however, sadly context-specific.  Something
>>  really need and general would be nice.
>
>That's why I didn't initially mention it.
>
>> But that may not be possible: the results of parallel
>>  processes ripping through the fabric of cells in
>>  idiosyncratic ways could be ever so destructive.
>>
>> I think this means we have to figure what sub-methods
>>  can be handled by what means.
>
>I don't presently see any simple solution for the general case, except
>to note that these are traditional problems of parallelism and there's
>no reason we can't implement traditional solutions such as semaphores,
>locks, queues, mailboxes and other kinds of inter-process messages as
>Zigzag cells.  If anything it might make them more visual and hence
>perhaps easier to understand.
>
>Cheers,
>	*** Xanni ***
>--
>mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam
>http://www.xanadu.com.au/                       Chief Scientist, Xanadu
>http://www.glasswings.com.au/                   Technical Editor, Glass Wings
>http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/                   Manager, Serious Cybernetics
>P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia  Phone +61 3 96511511

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/  (Professorial page)
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net (see also Professorial page, above)
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
QOD 99.03.31
"Everything is like everything else, but some of the resemblances are
harder to see."  TN99