Re: [zzdev] ZZDEV Problems

Hi Jay--

Glad you're aboard.  Best, Ted

At 02:34 PM 4/5/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I've been trying for the past several days to post some new msgs to ZZDEV,
>without any success. The mail keeps bouncing.
>
>The address I've been sending to is zzdev@xxxxxxxxxx, which should be the
>list, correct? I'm not sure what I am doing wrong so far, and it naturally
>is disturbing to me.
>
>I'll include the two msgs I wanted to send below. HTH.
>

>Windows port project
>Sorry for being gone for so long, but other matters have been getting in
>the way. After my talk with Marlene, I had promised to try and work on the
>prototype Windows 95/98 installation package, and I should be free to do so
>now. If anyone else is already working on this, let me know (I thought
>someone said Andrew was?), as I don't want to step on anyone's toes.
>
>I am aware of the liability concerns that you've voiced earlier, so this
>will be just a proof-of-concept version for now. What'll happen with it
>later will be you decision, of course).
>
>For now, I'm using ActivePerl 1.0 (build 509), which is supposed to be BC
>with Sarathy's port. Since its under the Community Liscense, it supposedly
>doesn't restrict your usage, but I can't say how it would effect us. The
>other alternative, Perl for Win32, is under both Artistic Liscense and GPL,
>and I know that there are concerns about the latter already. Both are
>distributed and supported by ActiveState, and  can be found at
>http://www.activestate.com/default.htm . If there are other Win32 perl
>ports that we may use or need to support, let me know.
>
>I have a few questions before going ahead, and a few suggestions  that have
>already come to mind after going over the porting instructions that already
>exist.
>
>First off, when we're ready to do so, I assume we'll want a self-installing
>system a la InstallShield. In order to do this, I'll need to know what
>we'll be bundling together with the program. For example, will we want to
>have it autoinstall Perl (or offer the option to do so), or should we
>assume that the user has already installed it (or can install it later)? In
>the latter case, we might have to suppoort multiple Perl ports, which would
>be a major hassle; in the former case, the install might walk all over any
>existing Perl they have, which is just as bad. Also, there are additional
>packages needed, like the DBFile and WinCurses libraries, or (in the case
>of ActivePerl under Win95) the  DCOM95 controls. What it comes down to is
>this: either we bundle them together, adding to the overhead of the install
>and sticking a lot of options for the user to choose from, or we require
>them to pick up a lot of packages on their own from several different web
>sites, with all the hassle that that entails. IMHO, while its not
>unreasonable to require the latter for developers, trying to do so for
>novice users is a potential disaster. The all-in-one package solves the
> [...]
 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/  (Professorial page)
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net (see also Professorial page, above)
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
QOD 99.03.31
"Everything is like everything else, but some of the resemblances are
harder to see."  TN99