:zz: Physical separation of the interface code ?-) (Was: Re: [zzdev] Re: ZZDEV Problems

Hi Jay & all--

Jay wrote (at some point)--
>> Perhaps. What I was looking for in the short term was just a physical
>> seperation of the interface code into a seperate package file, which is a
>> lot simpler than a full-fledged client-server design.

While clearly you are referring to an important subpart--
 the *present* interface code-- I'd like to point out annoyingly
 that "the" interface code is in some larger philosophical sense
 impossible to isolate, since one of the intentions of the system
 is to let ZZ be an interface to others stuff, in whatever way
 developers see fit!  Which could use *all* the functions.

Cheers, T

At 08:29 AM 4/19/99 +1000, you wrote:
>On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 12:41:35PM -0700, Joseph Osako wrote:
>> Sorry for the delay here, I've been unexpectedly busy.
>
>That's OK, I think we've all been there.  :-)
>
>> This is mostly what I had in mind; the size issue is more a reflection of
>> a) my personal programming esthetics and b) that I wasn't very familiar
>> with the current version. The seperation of front end and back is the real
>> key, esp if we're going to supportthe program on more than one platform.
>> The FE-BE seperation is a key part of the final Xanadu system, for the same
>> reason (among others).
>
>Of course.
>
>> Perhaps. What I was looking for in the short term was just a physical
>> seperation of the interface code into a seperate package file, which is a
>> lot simpler than a full-fledged client-server design. What may make the
>> most sense is if I work out a simple prototype on a seperate RCS worldline
>> (is that the right term?), with no (or very few) changes in program
>> behavior, just separating the UI code out.
>
>I already did this a few versions ago to permit the parallel development
>of other UIs, including the Zizl web interface.  The Zigzag.pm module
>should now be pretty much free of UI code.
>
>Cheers,
>	*** Xanni ***
>--
>mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam
>http://www.xanadu.com.au/                       Chief Scientist, Xanadu
>http://www.glasswings.com.au/                   Technical Editor, Glass Wings
>http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/                   Manager, Serious Cybernetics
>P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia  Phone +61 3 96511511

Theodor Holm Nelson, Project Professor,
 Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/  (Professorial page)
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net (see also Professorial page, above)
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the Day, 99.04.20
"If Gore invented the Internet, I invented spell-check."-- Dan Quayle