:gzz,virt: Windows & stabilization (was Re3: [zzdev] :gzz: Usage & Problem Report (version of 06.28)

we sez

>> ? (Windows-specific) After half an hour's use I got the Blue Screen
>>  of Warning, restarts didn't help (still Blue Screen of Warning),
>>  had to reboot.
>> If this is a general Java problem in Windows, then it's a problem
>>  with Java, right?  They say it works on everything ...  And 80%
>>  of the human race will have this problem.
>
>Sure we'll get some of this type of bugs found now that we're going to
>test it on different platforms, I guess we all here in Finland use
>Linux & IBM's JVM. Cross-platform development has always it's problems -
>I mean no two identical implementations exist - but I'm sure we're able
>to fix these.

Oh, I'm confident of you guys' ability !-)  Just reporting.

>About that specific problem in Windows, I guess it's pretty hard to
>find out what the problem really is: maybe it was just Windows (not if
>you get it always running gzz and never otherwise!), maybe it was the
>Java Virtual Machine implementation you're using (we must test several
>of these), maybe we've got a bug in our code that is visible only on
>that JVM&OS. But I'm sure it is possible to squeeze this problem out of
>our system, somehow :-)
>
>I use javac to compile the code, they use jikes: what I found out was
>that a certain language detail was illegal using javac but jikes didn't
>complain.
>
>I got IBM's latest JVM, version 1.3, and for some reason the views
>don't center before I press a key.

I want to use what you're using.  ANYTHING to stabilize this !-(
 Except for Linux, which is beyond my capabilities.  I simply can't spare
 the months it would take to learn to handle it reasonably.

Best, Ted

At 11:14 AM 7/7/00 +0300, you wrote:
>On  7 Jul, Ted Nelson wrote:
>> ? When I deleted a new dimension name, or rearranged
>>  the dimension names, rotation of dimensions became impossible.
>
>I tried to reproduce this, but I found only that switching to a
>dimension without a name freezed the display. I wonder if this caused
>your problem, or could it have been that the rank was left acyclic. And
>of course, I'm running a newer version.
>
>> ? When I hit 'escape' to go home, the left-hand window rotated
>>  into the dimensions of the right-hand window.
>
>Actually at the moment, both windows reset to default dimensions (d.1,
>d.2, d.3). Do you mean 'esc' shouldn't do that? I find it nice to be
>able to reset to the beginning - when you're at home you don't have much
>use to special dimensions before you've travelled somewhere. And at the
>present, one can use 'home' to get home without changing the
>dimensions. Should we change this?
>
>> ? The left-hand window cannot seem to rotate its dimension views.
>>  It should be usable for general exploration, dims must rotate.
>
>You tried Ctrl-x and Ctrl-Shift-x?
>
>> ? (Windows-specific) After half an hour's use I got the Blue Screen
>>  of Warning, restarts didn't help (still Blue Screen of Warning),
>>  had to reboot.
>> If this is a general Java problem in Windows, then it's a problem
>>  with Java, right?  They say it works on everything ...  And 80%
>>  of the human race will have this problem.
>
>Sure we'll get some of this type of bugs found now that we're going to
>test it on different platforms, I guess we all here in Finland use
>Linux & IBM's JVM. Cross-platform development has always it's problems -
>I mean no two identical implementations exist - but I'm sure we're able
>to fix these.
>
>About that specific problem in Windows, I guess it's pretty hard to
>find out what the problem really is: maybe it was just Windows (not if
>you get it always running gzz and never otherwise!), maybe it was the
>Java Virtual Machine implementation you're using (we must test several
>of these), maybe we've got a bug in our code that is visible only on
>that JVM&OS. But I'm sure it is possible to squeeze this problem out of
>our system, somehow :-)
>
>I use javac to compile the code, they use jikes: what I found out was
>that a certain language detail was illegal using javac but jikes didn't
>complain.
>
>I got IBM's latest JVM, version 1.3, and for some reason the views
>don't center before I press a key.
>

>Tuukka
>
>P.S. Sorry for me spamming the XML question earlier. I had some
>problems with my mail system here.

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England
 ?  e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx   ?  world-wide fax 1/415/332-0136
 ?  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    ?  http://www.xanadu.net
 ? Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965