Re: [zzdev] :gzz: Story of an unsuspected crash spiral (v.0706)

Hi Tuomas--

>> It just occurred to me-- could the successions of corrupted data
>>  have had to do with not shutting down?  Do you do some
>Yes. Exactly so.

Thanks for the clarification, T

At 05:21 AM 7/11/00 +0300, you wrote:

>> I thought that I managed to work for an hour till it crashed hard
>>  (when I used the ESC key to go home).
>>
>> I started at maybe 4:30 pm, putting in the family data that I've been
>>  using in my demo of the prototype.  Since I was just adding and
>>  filling in cells (nothing risky, I figured), I was able to save that at
5 pm.

>Did you alter the system list?
>
>> >From that point I figured I'd better make frequent backups.
>>
>> As I went on I did backups by copying the directory, not terminating
>>  the program.  But at 6 pm it crashed hard (use of ESC key and
>>  resulting strange condition).
>>
>> I tried to restart with that same data, but it wouldn't.
>
>Big mistake. When you back up, first ALWAYS exit the program with 'q'.
>There might be unflushed buffers, depending on the OS. You risk
>total data corruption that way.
>
>While the program is running, do not read OR write the data.
>
>> Lesson learned: shut down completely at backup time.
>
>> It just occurred to me-- could the successions of corrupted data
>>  have had to do with not shutting down?  Do you do some
>>  closure process on the data on shutdown that was not being
>>  performed properly by just dragging out a copy of the data
>>  directory?
>
>Yes. Exactly so.
>
>	Tuomas

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England
 ?  e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx   ?  world-wide fax 1/415/332-0136
 ?  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    ?  http://www.xanadu.net
 ? Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965