Re: list posts rec'd all at once

On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 11:23:16AM -0400, Peter Barus wrote:
> Help. I put zigzag's floppy in my Gateway p-5 120. It has two drives. One
> has now ceased to be recognized on boot.
>
> What I did before this happened:
>
> Started the machine;
> realized the boot floppy was still in it, and I didn't want to run zigzag
> then;
> hit the reset button.
>
> Presto, no drives atall.
>
> Shut down completely. started up again.
>
> Presto, no second drive. AAAAAgh!
>
> I've done a cold start a few times, the BIOS stuff no longer lists that
> drive, just takes a while to try, then moves on.
>
> I tried booting completely from the floppy, then shutting off the machine,
> then a normal startup.
>
> I can't help thinking this zigzag floppy has done something to my computer.
> Is this possible? Hard to believe an unrelated coincidental toasting like
> this. The second hard disk is just gone as far as the BIOS is concerned. My
> next step is to open it up and start jiggling wires...
>
> Any ideas?

I can't see how Zigzag could have changed your BIOS settings.  We didn't
include any software that knows how to do that.  It's far more likely
that your machine doesn't like being rebooted at that particular instant
when it's already booting.  It's also significant that the first drive
disappeared and then reappeared; I'd say something is definitely flakey
on your computer!  It's probably not coincidental, either.  The rebooting,
rather than Zigzag, is likely to be one cause of the problem.  Definitely
check for loose connections, then use the BIOS "hard drive autodetect"
and see if that helps.

Good luck and let me know what happens,
					*** Xanni ***
--