Re: [zzdev] Re: :zz: Could we make a General Updater for ZZdata?

>Not unless we change the format again so it somehow encodes its version
>into the dataset.  Otherwise how do we know what we're converting FROM?

You mean we don't do that already ?)

ChrzT

At 04:14 PM 7/30/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Ted Nelson wrote:
>> This problem of having to pull cell structures forward
>>  with every new version is very daunting.
>> I have hundreds of datasets already, each locked to
>>  a specific version.
>
>Hang on, when did we last change the cell structure?  Not for
>AGES.
>
>Hav you tried using the min different versions?
>
>> So might this be possible? as follows--
>> A general update program, such that
>> - It accepts any old ZZ format
>> - It converts to the latest format (leaving prev. for safety)
>> - (Optional, might be useful for understanding how things were--)
>>  it downdates to some previous format as specified?
>
>Hmm.
>
>Not unless we change the format again so it somehow encodes its version
>into the dataset.  Otherwise how do we know what we're converting FROM?
>

>Gossamer
>
>--
>: Gossamer     gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  | Xanadoodler
>: http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/  | And proud of it :)
>: When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.  And
>: swing!  -- Leo Buscaglia

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
Professorial home page http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the day, 98.09.25:
"Love is the marshmallow on top of the blood-and-guts sundae we call life."
 TN 98.07