Re: [zzdev] GZigZag and OpenGL

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 12:46:07PM +0000, matthewchadwick@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> use Java3d. http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/index.html
> comes in OpenGL version.
> nice API, love it.

The API may be nice, but using JNI for each OpenGL call is pure murder.
Java->C calling is *SLOW*. We want to be able to put the lowest-level
rendering loops into C/C++.

Also, there is the additional problem that there are (AFAIK) no libre
implementations of Java3D, which would take us further away from being
able to really run on completely free software.

I think that we'll probably do a C/C++ library geared towards our needs
(i.e. font rastering using freetype, loops for common things we draw etc).

	Tuomas