:zz: Fontlery (was: Clarif. re inside/contents

Quoth LaBek:

>> The expected structures is:
>> d.contents \/   d.inside =>  ("|" here means "no connection)
>> A a
>>  B d
>
>This doesn't make sense to me, sorry :(  (Is Ted using a weird

Times.  Use it for everything.  Geez, do I have to give that up?
 Sigh.  I'm willing.

But if THIS didn't make sense--
>>("|" here means "no connection)
it's because I forgot to delete it as I rewrote.  Sorry.

At 04:54 PM 10/28/98 +1100, you wrote:
>Ted Nelson wrote:
>> The concept is simple, and exactly matches the names,
>>  *once you get it* ;-)
>> but as with so many things, getting it may not be
>>  instantaneous.
>> AHEM!  (Tapping pointer on lectern) =====
>
>It's complicated!  Inside/contents I've never grokked :(
>
>> "Inside" is transitive-- (could it be otherwise?)--
>
>Guess it could, but it wouldn't make sense.  It always works
>left-right?
>
>> d.inside =>
>> a b c d  ...
>> so in this example, b is inside a, c iis inside b, d
>>  is inside c, etc.
>
>Therefore, c is also (in a secondary way) inside a too,
>right?
>
>> Now, the problem with only having that one dimension
>>  to represent containment is that in this model,
>>  each thing can only contain *one other* thing,
>>  like nesting Russian dolls.
>
>I'm with you here still ...
>
>> So to put more than one thing inside A, we need
>>  some way of representing it, a contents list;
>>  and a simple way to do that is have it dangle from
>>  the first contained object.  A design choice is
>>  whether to have some title, or just the first item,
>>  at the top of the list; I choose to put the first item,
>>  since there might not even be a second.
>
>So with this
>
>A b c d          --> inside
>
>(where e and f hang off b)
>
>b, e -and- f are inside A?
>
>> The expected structures is:
>> d.contents \/   d.inside =>  ("|" here means "no connection)
>> A a
>>  B d
>
>This doesn't make sense to me, sorry :(  (Is Ted using a weird
>
>bekj
>
>--
>: --Neophilic-Hacker-Grrl-Geek-Eclectic-Gay-Disabled-Boychick--
>: gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/
>: Innovation is hard to schedule.  -- Dan Fylstra

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
Professorial home page http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the day, 98.10.28:
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is
comprehensible."  Albert Einstein