Re: [zzdev] Window management and Emacs (Was: July wishlist)

Hey, I know and admire emacs.

HowEVer, I am trying to steer this development project
 (inadequately but bravely staffed) in a particular direction
 which I consider coherent.

Additions and variants are welcome, but let's put them
 in variant compilations.  That way at least one of us
 (with seniority) gets exactly what he's wanted a long time.

CheersT

At 07:45 PM 11/1/98 -0500, you wrote:

>> BIG WINDOWS
>> Full-screen cell view with quad window.
>
>I think it would be better if it managed windows similar to the way
>the emacs editor does.  In emacs, you can create and destroy windows
>operations apply to the current window.  There are key sequences for:
>
>	Split the current window horizontally
>	Split the current window vertically
>	Change the size of the current window
>	Destroy the current window and expand the other windows to fit
>	(etc.)
>
>In ZigZag, each window would have its own cursor.  Most operations
>could take place in the `current' window instead of in some predefined
>`data' window.  The user could still have a `data' and an `action'
>window if they wanted.  This would free up half the keys on the
>keyboard.  Instead of having sfecDd dupplicate the functionality of
>jli,Kk you would just use jli,Kk for everything; if the data window
>was selected, the keys would move the data cursor, and if the action
>window was selected they'd move the action cursor.
>
>Attached is a picture of a typical emacs session.
>

>mjd@xxxxxxxxx                                             Mark-Jason Dominus
>mjd@xxxxxxxxxx                              Plover Systems, Philadelphia, PA
>

>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\eudora.lt.05.09 stripped\attach\emacs.gif"

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
Professorial home page http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the day, 98.11.01:
"Life and death are both hereditary."  TN59