TEENY Interface Request (was: Re:: :zz,crel: Parting of the Versions again

Hi Mark again--

>While waiting for
>you folks to do something with the patches, I've been working on
>alternative front ends so that when Bek gets the front end separated
>from the back end I'll have enough expertise to replace the front end
>with something I like better.

O boy o boy.

Am eager to see.  Here's where the Interface Doctrine is:
* * * ALL VIEWS ARE VALID, EVERYBODY SHOULD HAVE
 THE INTERFACE THEY WANT. * * *

Speaking of which, would you possibly consider
 the two-hour jobby I asked Andrew for a month ago?
 He's suddenly coping with cracker attacks in Australia
 and definitely out of the game for awhile.

It's a dirt-simple interface.  Will remail, following.
 It just proposes to conduct the interface as the
 repainting of a fixed-size browser window by
 *scanning and replacement of strings*.  Starting
 with a particular string template, explore outward
 from the cursor and replace strings with the first
 n characters of a cell, also noting which connections
 exist.  When user hits a key, repeat, sending to window
 in push mode.

(The call to open the Netscape window is evidently
 one line of JavaScript or something.)

At 10:56 PM 11/4/98 -0500, you wrote:
>> You want the semantics to be a little simpler for elegance' sake.
>
>I guess I should explain myself a little better.  I don't want it to
>be any way.  It's your big idea and I'm not interested in arguining
>with you about how it should work.
>
>I just want you to explain the way it is.
>
>> 5.  I think here we may have come to another parting of the versions.
>>  If you would like to carry out parallel development of the
>>  alternative you're thinking of, I'll be interested to try it.
>
>I'm not really interested in that this week.  This week I want to make
>it the way Ted Nelson wants it.  I had hoped that Andrew would put in
>my `shear' and `select' patches and release a new version and then you
>would see it and say ``No, it's almost what I want, but the details
>are wrong,'' and then I'd fix it.
>
>Later on when it's better developed and the internals are separated
>from the interface is the time that I'll diverge.  While waiting for
>you folks to do something with the patches, I've been working on
>alternative front ends so that when Bek gets the front end separated
>from the back end I'll have enough expertise to replace the front end
>with something I like better.

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
Professorial home page http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the day, 98.11.05:
Last words of Ludwig Wittgenstein: "Tell them I had a wonderful life."