Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Nile

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 08:39:31PM +0100, Benjamin Fallenstein wrote:
> Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > > If we use cells as dimensions, of course. Do you already have solutions
> > > for the obvious problems? :)
> >
> > Which are the obvious problems?
>
> How do I know two dimensions are same in two different ZZ spaces? Practically:
> * how do I know two dimensions are same in slices?

The applitudes need global ids. After that, it's just
(nile applitude id)-(nile-specific-dim-id).

> * how do I reference dimensions in the code? (which dimension is d.nile?)

A clone of that cell.

Oh, you mean Java code ;)
It'll be a cell stored in some variable, initialized somehow.

> What about this: we start with each applitude having *one* dimension
> that is used for designating that some stuff belongs to it -- e.g., Nile
> has d.nile-special. Then, when an applitude view (say, nile) encounters
> a connection to something else, it calls a method in the VobSet. The
> VobSet searches all dimensions on the applitude table. When it finds a
> connection, it calls the view of the applitude associated with that
> dimension to show the connected piece.
>
> Or wouldn't that be powerful enough?

Sounds like a tradeoff where we restrict something but don't get
quite enough back.

Have to keep thinking about this.

	Tuomas