Re Re: :zz: "!@#$% General DATA solution impossible

Hi Mark--

The problem isn't concurrency.  The problem is the
 complex tissue structure of ZigZag.  If each process
 is just creating an independent file or well-expected datum,
 there's no problem.  However, each process in a parallel ZZ
 could rip the tissue in another direction.

Another way to put it: data in ZigZag is in some sense global.

A *non-general* solution will allow each process to create
 its own unconnected cell, rank, grid, etc.  The problem is
 the connections and keeping them from messing each other up.

A wonderful image just occurred to me: a lot of berserk
 sewing machines on wheels, stitching everything in your
 closet together chaotically.

Best, T

At 11:58 AM 4/6/99 -0700, you wrote:
>At 02:07 AM 4/3/99 , Ted Nelson wrote:
>>You said:
>>>I don't presently see any simple solution for the general case, except
>>>to note that these are traditional problems of parallelism ...
>>
>>The reason is that if we aren't seriously simplifying
>> in some original way, maybe we shouldn't be doing it.
>
>E's concurrency control model, derived from Actors, FCP, and Joule
>http://www.agorics.com/joule.html but reconciled with sequential
>programming, is a solution to the general concurrency control problem that's
>much simpler and more robust than the thread/locking model.  Unfortunately,
>I haven't adequately documented this model yet, but see
>"http://www.erights.org";, especially
>"http://www.erights.org/elib/concurrency/index.html"; and
>"http://www.erights.org/elib/concurrency/vat.html";.  My guess is that all
>this would apply perfectly well to zigzag.
>

>	Cheers,
>	--MarkM

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/  (Professorial page)
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net (see also Professorial page, above)
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
QOD 99.03.31
"Everything is like everything else, but some of the resemblances are
harder to see."  TN99